A Total of 114 people were killed and 1,035 others wounded in a 6.6-magnitude strong earthquake that hit Turkey’s western province of Izmir. In a written statement, Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) said 137 citizens are still under treatment in hospitals. Mehmet Gulluoglu, head of AFAD, announced that the rescue operations were completed in all the 17 collapsed buildings. Previously, authorities had said a total of 107 people were pulled out alive from the ruins.
Izmir Mayor Tunc Soyer, meanwhile, launched an aid campaign on Tuesday dubbed “One Rent One Home” for those whose apartment buildings collapsed or were heavily damaged. Those who want to provide rent support or open their homes for citizens who are in need can submit their notifications online, he said in a written statement.
Currently, there are 8,000 temporary shelters established across the province for the earthquake survivors. According to the AFAD statement, the government has allocated 29 million liras of resources to the region.