In an unfortunate event , a child succumbed to a major fire that occurred at the Mother and Child Care unit at Assam Medical College Hospital (AMCH) on Sunday night. The fire caused extensive damage to the ICU of the Mother and Child Care unit of AMCH.
According to reports, the child was in the intensive care unit (ICU) with ventilation support, but later died after the disconnection of electricity due to the fire.
Sources said the fire caught at the ICU of the Mother and Child Care unit of AMCH occurred due to short-circuit. The children were immediately shifted to other wards from the affected site. Fire tenders rushed immediately to the spot and doused the fire. Sources said the patients and their attendees were seen running to save their lives as the fire engulfed the unit.